Froyle Place and St Mary's Church
Froyle Place and St. Mary's Church
This imposing view of Froyle Place was taken somewhen in the early part of the 20th Century. We have little information about occupiers in the 1900s but we do know that Mr.F.B.Summers occupied Froyle Place from 1912. In 1922 he gave the Recreation Ground at Lower Froyle to the village. About 4½ acres were acquired by compulsory purchase from the Burningham estate. He also spent a lot of money on Alton Cottage Hospital, on a new operating theatre, etc. and he wished to be the first to be operated on there. It was an operation which was not absolutely necessary, but unfortunately he died, in January 1926 - a great loss to Froyle.
In 1922 Froyle Place was a “Hive of Industry”. In the house itself there was a butler, footman and quite a number of maids. Seven in the gardens, three chauffeurs and four keepers. The old ex-coachman attended to the dogs and poultry and if anyone threw a matchstick down in the yard he walked along and picked it up. The Racquet Court was fitted with a stage, scenery and footlights. Concerts and weekly dances were held here, with the old coachman in close attendance to see that everything was in order.