|The earliest spelling is FROLI Other spellings: FROELI, FROILL, FROILLE, FROYELE, FROYELL, FROYAL. Froli was a Royal Manor in the reign of Edward the Confessor, and was held by the king “in his own person”. Froli is mentioned in Domesday.|
|1086|| The manor was given by William the Conqueror
to the Nuns of St.Mary’s Abbey, Winchester (Nunnaminster), and was held
by them until the Dissolution in 1540. This refers mainly to the part
now known as Upper Froyle.
At Lower Froyle were two sub-manors:-
1. Husseys - first mentioned in 1262. Held by Walter Heuse (Hussey), sold to Thomas Colrith in 1416. Became the property of the Jephsons in about 1639. In 1652 sold by the Jephsons to John and Robert Fiennes, and bought from the Fiennes in 1656 by Bernard Burningham. The manorial rights remained with the chief manor.
2. Brocas - John de Brocas, a refuge from Gascony, took service with Edward III. He fought at Crecy and at the siege of Calais, and for his services he became Sir John Brocas and received manors at about seven places in Hampshire, including Froyle. Brocas was acquired by the Jephsons in about 1639 and sold to the Fiennes in 1652. By 1639 it had, like Husseys, become part of the chief manor.
|1540||The main, or chief manor was acquired by William Jephson, and held with the additions of Brocas and Husseys later by his descendants, until 1652.|
|1652||John and Richard Fiennes, younger sons of Viscount Saye and Seale, bought the whole of the estate. They sold Husseys to Bernard Burningham in 1656, but not the manorial rights.|
|1666||Samuel Gauden of Lincoln’s Inn Fields bought the whole of the estate, except Husseys, from John and Richard Fiennes. He probably built the Pigeon Loft at Froyle Place as the stone (now in the Church) says S.G.1686. He died in 1693. Tomb in the Chancel.|
|1693||Jonathan Gauden, son of Samuel Gauden, died 1705. Tomb in Chancel.|
|1705||Gauden Draper, nephew of Jonathan Gauden, died 1710. Tomb in Chancel.|
|1710||William Draper, son of Gauden Draper. (The Dower House, which stood in the Park opposite the School, was built for Gauden Draper’s widow). William Draper died in 1765. His daughter, Mrs. Mary Nicholas, paid forfeit for not having him buried in woollen. Tomb in Chancel.|
|1765||Mary Nicholas, daughter of William Draper (his son died in infancy). Mary married William Nicholas, who died in 1764.|
|1770||Sir Thomas Miller, 5th Baronet, formerly of Lavant, near Chichester, purchased Froyle Place with the whole of the manorial rights. Mary Nicholas kept the Dower House and part of the Park, and she and her descendants, the Moodys, lived there until 1860. Between 1770 and 1780 the Lower Froyle part of the estate was sold to Sir Thomas Miller, the Burninghams and the Westbrooks.|
|1816||The Rev. Sir Thomas Combe Miller, 6th Baronet, second son of the 5th Baronet. He became vicar of Froyle in 1811, and was largely responsible for the rebuilding of the Nave in 1812. His elder brother, John, died before 1816, so he became both Vicar and Lord of the Manor. For many years he had a curate named Aubutin who was largely responsible for the preservation of the stained glass in the Church. Sir Thomas Combe Miller, Bt. died in 1864.|
|1864||Sir Charles Hayes Miller, 7th Baronet, son of Sir Thomas Combe Miller. He founded Froyle School. He died in 1868. Coffin in vault in churchyard.|
|1868||Sir C.J.Miller, 8th Baronet, (then a boy nine years of age). He went away to school, and afterwards entered the Army, the affairs of the estate being carried on by his uncle. He came back to Froyle in 1892, but did not live at Froyle Place. From 1868 until the Trustees of the Lord Mayor Treloar College purchased it in 1947, Froyle Place was let to various tenants. Sir C.J.Hubert Miller died in 1941. Coffin in vault in churchyard.|
|1941||Mrs.Loyd, niece of Sir C.J.Miller. Mrs.Loyd sold Froyle Place, and 63 acres of the Park to the Trustees of the Lord Mayor Treloar College in 1947, and the rest of the estate with the manorial rights in 1949.|
SHORT HISTORIES OF THE FAMILIES WHO HELD FROYLE MANORIAL RIGHTS
It is thought that at the Conquest, in 1066, the ‘great Norman Baron’ Hugh de Port from Port-en Bessein (Basing) held the Froyle manorial rights as ‘under Lord to render military service’. He was given 54 other Hampshire Manors.
At least £2,400, £1,400. and £1,000
of our money. But those days saw the apotheosis of the horse. He
no rival. Without him war, commerce, even everyday intercourse was
literally at a standstill. He gave the very name to the age - chevalry.
Brocas, ’Gardein de nos grands chevaux’, in official “tunic of
blue, and cape of white Brussels cloth”, was an important and most
The first Miller entries in the register are as follows:-
This Sir Thomas Miller, Bt., was the 5th Baronet.
He was M.P. for Lewes, 1774 - 1778, and Portsmouth, 1806 - 1816. He
died in 1816, but was not buried at Froyle. He was twice married. His
second wife was Elizabeth Edwards. She died in 1800, aged 50. His eldest
son, John, died in 1804, aged 34. Sir Thomas Miller purchased Froyle
place in 1770.