Husseys Farm
Hussey's Farm from the sale of 1915
The tenement with the longest history in the village is that known since the thirteenth century as Husseys in Lower Froyle. The “manor” of Husseys is mentioned in 1262-63 as then acquired by Walter Hussey of his brother William. The Husseys of Froyle were possibly connected with the South Harting family flourishing in Henry III's time. Parts of their house here may be incorporated in the existing building, timber framed with brick filling, of sixteenth-century date, with a rosy brick Georgian front probably added in 1764. To give some idea of the extent of the manor, follow the ‘More’ link for particulars of Husseys in about 1658.
The top picture shows “Husseys”, as it is now known, in 1915 and is taken from the sale brochure of the Froyle House Estate. The lower photograph was taken in 1961.
For photographs taken in the 1960s & 70s, follow the link at the bottom of the page.
Husseys 1961