||We are not exactly sure when the top photograph was taken,
but we do have a clue from the list of hymns on the wall to the left
of the pulpit.
The postcard is from the ‘Varney’ series published between 1905 and
1910 and we know that May 27th was a Sunday in 1900 and 1906. It could be a fair assumption that the picture was taken in May 1906.
However, closer examination of the East window reveals that the “Jesse Tree of Life” is not there - the lower part of the window is clear glass! As the “Jesse” window was put in in 1896 to honour Sir Hubert Miller’s mother, this moves the date of the photograph to May 1888. Further investigation reveals that Mr Varney purchased his photographic business from George Frost who had been active for many years - his back catalogue must have been part of the deal!
The modern picture was taken in March 2007 and shows little change. The lighting has been modernised over the pews but beyond that things are much as they were nearly 100 years ago. However, things have changed as a new window was installed, to the extreme left of the picture, to commemorate the Millennium. For a picture, take a look below.
The East window dates back to 1394 and contains some very old stained glass, including 10 lights of coats of arms. Edward the Confessor; Edward I; Edward, Prince of Wales, Humphrey de Bohun, Earl of Hereford; Edward 11; John de Warenne, 6th Earl of Surrey; Edward III; Isabella, mother of Edward III; Henry de Chatelon and Edward the Black Prince
|Thanks to Sir Hubert Miller, Froyle’s last Lord of the Manor, St Mary’s is blessed with a magnificent collection of vestments and altar cloths which are occasionally brought out from secure storage and displayed in the Church. The most recent occasion was as part of the Froyle Gardens Open Weekend in June 2014. The Vestments link below features some pictures and describes how they came to be in St Mary’s thanks to Sir Hubert Miller. In the Autumn of 2008 we also discovered a photograph of the interior of the Church that was taken in 1864. Follow the St Mary’s 1864 link below to find out more.
In 2012/13 a grant was obtained to re-furbish some of the hatchments that hang on the wall of the nave. Follow Hatchments link below for more information.